Photo: Courtesy of the Huddersfield Examiner
Kirkburton Middle School is a successful and vibrant six-form entry 10-13 Middle School. The school is also a member of the highly popular and very successful three-tier Shelley Pyramid of schools within Kirklees.
Most pupils come to us from First Schools in the surrounding villages of Emley, Farnley Tyas, Highburton, Shelley, Shepley, Thurstonland and Kirkburton itself. Kirkburton Middle School also has an increasing number of pupils applying to join us from neighbouring catchment areas. The vast majority of our pupils transfer to Shelley College at the end of Year 8. Close links exist at all levels between schools throughout the pyramid, ensuring continuity, progression and effective transfer between phases.
The aim at Kirkburton Middle School is to provide high quality teaching, learning and pastoral care within a welcoming, vibrant and safe environment where all children are given a wide range of opportunities to achieve their full potential. We want our children to become confident, independent and successful individuals who have all the skills necessary to equip them for the future.
We aim for each and every child to:
- achieve their full potential both academically and socially.
- acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant to the changing world in which they live.
- respect and value themselves, other people and the environment.
- develop enquiring minds with motivation to learn.
- work independently and collaboratively.
- take responsibility for their own actions and make informed choices.
- have well developed communication and social skills.
- develop self-confidence and high self-esteem.
- recognise themselves as citizens of the wider world who have a ‘voice’ and can make a difference.
- challenge themselves to always be the best they can be.