01484 222 754
About Shepley First School
The village is served by Shepley First School, a popular and successful primary school for pupils aged 4 – 10.
The school aims to create a positive learning environment where children feel included and valued, happy and secure, where they experience and develop high self-esteem and confidence in their own abilities.
The current Head Teacher is Tricia Jackson
LATEST NEWS UPDATES
SHEPLEY HISTORY AND HERITAGE TRAIL
Extract from David Billington’s book “SHEPLEY Believe it ……or Not!”
Shepley Board School
It was in 1894 the Shepley School Board bought one acre of land in Little Lea from the trustees of the late Joseph Firth (the well-known Quaker) with Firth Street (the only street in Shepley) named to commemorate the Firth family. The costs was 2/- (10p) per square yard.
Architects within a radius of 25 miles of Shepley were invited to submit plans for ‘A public Elementary School and Caretaker’s House’. Twenty three plans were submitted and the design of Mr Walter Hanstock of Batley was chosen.
Tenders were invited from local craftsmen and the following were accepted:
|Hot water system Hargreaves & Dewhirst||152|
|Furniture & Expenses||200|
The Education Dept. finally approved of the Plan, specifications and tender for the schools, which provide accommodation for 348 mixed scholars and to borrow the required money. Funding was obtained by a loan from the Yorkshire Penny Bank at 3 ¼ % repayable in 50 instalments of £218.8.10 (£218.94)
The school is detailed in the schedule of listed buildings as a Grade II building of the ‘Free Northern Renaissance Style’, The architecture is described as ‘bulbous engaged Ionic columns and tall swan-necked and enriched pediments’.
On the 16th November, 1896 the school was opened and a new educational era in the life of Shepley village had begun. The Chairman of the School Board, Mr W. Slater, provided a Celebratory reception for Shepley householders and a tea for the pupils on the 4th December 1896. The school was divided into infants and mixed (Juniors), each with its own Head. During the first few months the school attendance reached 277, there was a teaching staff of 9 and Mr William Hey was Headmaster.